Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Serving

From now until summer, I'll be pretty busy. I've been given plenty of commitments and projects, so from now on, I won't be able to take on anymore than I already have. I'm grateful for so many exciting projects/programs to come, but I'm already anticipating my need to pace myself when the busyness comes.

As is with many others, I am the servant type that likes to be involved and busy (a Martha-type). When I'm not in a purposeful role, I feel a lack of meaning and identity within myself. This is something I'm hoping to shift away from, because there will be busy and not-so-busy seasons.

I am also not a natural leader. Nor a natural "mentor" (however you define that role). Even though by birth, I'm a first-born and the eldest of 2 other siblings, I have never really fit the big-sister stereotypical role that well (I'm not the bossy type and I doubt that my presence commands as much respect as others do). These past 5 years I've been challenged to "step" up and take on these roles that don't come natural to me. With these challenges, I've been discovering my style of leading and my own personal style of influence. I'm not the assertive hands-on type (aka: I'm not your mom), and I am certainly not going to tell you what to do. I am noticing that when I serve, I like to treat others like peers/equals. I am not comfortable "mommy-ing" people, and I would hope that I do my best to help others THINK FOR THEMSELVES rather than be carbon copies of their role models. I've seen people base their spiritual lives on their leaders/role models, and I hope to never do that to those under my influence. I hope to guide people DIRECTLY to God, rather than towards myself. You have a question on how God is speaking/guiding to you? I won't have the answer for you. But I would want to guide you in how to listen to His voice on your own.

Lord, thank you for the many opportunities You've given me to serve You and give myself to You. Equip me for the roles You've placed before me - Holy Spirit, grant me Your wisdom and strength!

Posted by Ruth at 1/11/2006

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie posted at 5:06 PM  
    I guess all you can do is be yourself, whatever that involves, however you act, etc. God made you a unique individual and all you can do is be that girl :o) God bless!
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:16 PM  
    I like the new design... :D ~dave

Post a Comment

« Home