Monday, January 02, 2006

2006 Beginning Thoughts

It's not exactly New Year's Day anymore, but we're at the start of a new year, and people are thinking about resolutions. I stopped having resolutions since grad school - I always end up discouraged that I never follow through. There are things I would like to work on and improve on, but why wait for a new year to start them? I start whenever I feel the urging to (end of the year, middle of the year, whatever). Plus, this relieves some pressure because there is no deadline, and it's just dependent on where I'm at. Everyone goes at a different pace, right? No need to be overly ambitious, because sometimes it just leads you to a deadend and frustration.

If we keep in touch with you, you've probably received our annual Christmas newsletter. Every year Wayne does it (it's 110% fueled by him - I'm always trying to fight for a picture card every year but I lose). But this year, we procrastinated a bit, so I ended up doing 70% of it. And all the clipart. And finding the fun Christmasy paper to print it on. For the most part, the newsletter is accurate and true. I'd have to admit, though, that some parts were glazed over (for space reasons) and if you really wanted to know more details about what's REALLY been going on, you would have to keep in touch with us on a regular basis to know where we're at.

It's been a good year - one that I've been waiting for for awhile. This year was the year I had the most quality time with my husband - which was a huge blessing since we started our marriage right when he dove into residency and his mind-numbing intern year. But we survived it, and we're still intact. =)

I am also ending this year with a couple new friends - a renowned interest in new crafts and hobbies. Not only has knitting taken up so much of my time and heart, it's been personal therapy for many occasions. I also acquired a sewing machine, a few crochet hooks, and a couple books for future projects. I think what I enjoy about these crafts is the process of putting things together, the challenge of teaching myself and figuring things out on my own, and the satisfaction I get with the end product. It's a similar feeling with cooking, but it lasts alot longer because it won't spoil and disappear right away since people won't eat it.

Some discouraging things clouded those blessings though (if you know me, you know I struggle with being discouraged easily and constantly needing more faith). Ministries fell through and accountability/community was growing scarce. I don't know if God is either teaching me contentment where I'm at, or He's preparing me for something larger. Either way, I ought NOT to depend my faith on circumstances around me, but keep going steadfast in my spiritual journey, independent of all the things around me. It certainly takes faith to walk through life. (Which I don't have, but I'm always asking for more.) =)

So with this new year, a verse that would reflect where I am and push me forward to where I want to be!

...that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:10-14, NAS)


Happy New Year!

Posted by Ruth at 1/02/2006

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie posted at 5:25 PM  
    Happy New Year Ruth!

    I don't make resolutions either and if I want to change something or work toward something I will do it whenever the "mood" strikes.

    Here's hoping that in 2006 we'll all get lots of knitting, crocheting, or other crafty sort of things done!!
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:08 PM  
    I'm with you about making resolutions as they become necessary and not just a New Year's.
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:09 AM  
    Keep pressing on Ruth! The discourgement always will creep up, but take heart and keep perspective. I'm really glad that you and hubby have had more time together. =)
  4. Blogger Maggie Ann posted at 3:11 PM  
    Happy New Year Ruth! I think most of us can admit to becoming easily discouraged... especially when circumstances are not conducive to a good mood. Even so, your scripture verse is inspiring and full of strength. I leave you tonight with this verse..Isaiah 41:13 And, your knitting is fabulous...I admire you so much. When I encountered major gauge problems I ...shh..quit. A knitting teacher told me the only way I would ever get a sweater to fit was to take apart a sweater that I had that fit well, and take my work off the needles and lay it out on top of the one that fit already. Well,....maybe someday, for now, I'll cross-stitch and enjoy THAT!

Post a Comment

« Home