Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Thorn

This past weekend I came to Church Camp with anticipation for some fun, relaxation, and quiet times. I didn't get much quiet time as I wanted, but the fun part was evident. I also had plenty of opportunities to catch up with friends and get to know some people more deeply. God also surprised me by showing me some things deep down inside of me - as I dug beneath my layers, I discovered a chasm of porportions in my heart. I was shocked and taken aback by how deep this hole was, and how painful it was to confront it and expose it to the surface. I felt incomplete, broken, and completely ineffective, with a wound like this.

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.
(2 Corinthians 12:7-8)

I questioned God - Why did you bring this to the light? What purpose does this have (besides bringing me pain)? What am I to do with this? What are you challenging me to do with this?

I didn't get a straight answer. Instead, from my questions came a silence that was warm and inviting, and it drew me to His Word. I opened it and this is what He said to me:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
(2 Corinthians 12:9)

I'm not quite ready to boast about my weaknesses like Paul so freely says, but I'm reminded that it is through my weaknesses that God can work in and through me. In the meantime, I will lean on Him because my strength comes not from me, but from Him alone.

Posted by Ruth at 5/31/2006

1 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:19 PM  
    You never cease to challenge me in my own faith...thanks.

Post a Comment

« Home