Monday, May 22, 2006

Robbing God

The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters.

Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God his Savior. Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob. (Psalm 24:1-6)

I have been reminded lately of a simple truth: everything in my life belongs to God. All my material posessions, my relationships, my skills and talents, my personality traits, my time, my current occupation, even the very breath I breathe - none of these things belong to me.

Thinking that I am living on borrowed time with borrowed things and borrowed tools is hugely humbling for me. After finishing a fairly busy season the past 6 months, I'm re-evaluating what all this busyness lately has come to. Was it worth it? Or did I just take all the things that didn't really belong to me (my time and talents) and squandered it away? And if so, for what? Just to be busy? To have fun? To please others? To make me feel good about myself? I am disgusted at myself - I used to live by higher standards than these. I'm ashamed that the goals I've had as of late, have been purely selfish, lacking in purpose, without an ounce of self-control.

I've heard that what people eat, reveals what they hunger for. What we make time for, reveals what's important to us.

I have been incredibly blessed - will I continue to waste what's given to me? Or will I wisely invest in the Kingdom of God? Will I offer up my life (once again) for the purposes of God's glory? With all that I temporarily have in this life, will I use all I have to daily live for God and worship Him with it?

Humbling, yes. And I also have to admit, it's a bit freeing as well. To know that as long as I give the very best that I can, He will take care of the rest. His will is good and perfect, and they are all in His hands. Putting my trust in this, I can rest easy.

Posted by Ruth at 5/22/2006

1 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:58 PM  
    Well put. Thanks for the reminder.

Post a Comment

« Home